This fun and easy appetizer recipe comes together in no time. Easy barbecue pulled chicken, spicy pepperjack cheese, fresh cilantro and earthy portobello mushroom caps come together for a fun twist on classic stuffed mushrooms. Perfect for entertaining!
There are very few things in this world I love more than barbecue sauce.
It’s just – AHH. So good. And a splash of BBQ can lend a quick smoky touch and immediate depth of flavor to even the easiest, simplest dishes.
Take these BBQ Chicken Pepper Jack Stuffed Mushrooms, for instance. They’re ready to bake in just 10-15 minutes, and require only 5 ingredients (not counting salt and pepper). But the amount of flavor you get from the pepper jack/BBQ/cilantro combination makes them seem so much more complicated than they really are.
Also, I have a real problem with soggy mushrooms, so here’s a nifty trick to help you keep your stuffed mushrooms roasted to perfection: place a cooling rack on top of a rimmed baking sheet, then place your stuffed mushrooms on top of the rack before baking them. The cooling rack keeps the mushroom caps elevated, which means they aren’t swimming around in whatever liquid they release as they cook. The result is a perfectly roasted, much less messy mushroom. (I also like to use this trick for my Portobello Mushroom Pizzas!) Just be careful moving the pan around – mushrooms like to roll around a bit on the cooling rack, so move slowly to avoid any flipped-over-stuffed-mushroom catastrophes.
Basically, this combo (awesome, easy, delicious stuffed mushrooms + a kitchen hack to keep them from getting soggy) is a winner. And it will help you look like a total pro in the kitchen even if all you have to work with is half an hour and no patience for actually cooking things. Plus, umm, vegetables + protein = HEALTHY, right?
- 10 oz. baby portobello or white button mushrooms, cleaned and with the stems removed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 oz. pepper jack cheese, cut into small (1/3") cubes
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken
- ½ cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Place a wire cooling rack on a baking sheet and place mushroom caps top-side down on top of the rack.
- Salt and pepper mushroom caps to taste.
- Place a cube of pepper jack cheese inside each mushroom cap. You may not use all of the cheese, and you may have to cut the cubes up a little smaller depending on the size of your mushroom caps. Just finagle it so that you have pepper jack cheese filling up as much of the mushroom cap as possible!
- In a small bowl, mix together shredded chicken and BBQ sauce. Top each mushroom cap with a spoonful of shredded BBQ chicken.
- Carefully place baking sheet with stuffed mushrooms into a 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until mushrooms are cooked through.
- Remove mushrooms from baking sheet and top with fresh chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.
Try to use a cooling rack that's the same size as your baking sheet. I also recommend a baking sheet with rims (as opposed to a flat cookie sheet).
Move slowly when you're picking up the baking sheet - mushrooms can roll around on the rack if you're not careful, so keep an eye on them to avoid any spills!