Shake up your morning routine with this breakfast bruschetta recipe – fluffy scrambled eggs, fresh tomatoes and basil atop crusty french bread make for an easy breakfast recipe that’s sure to be a hit!
It was really only a matter of time before I added a heap of goat cheese to my breakfast and put the whole thing on top of crostini.
This is quite possibly the greatest breakfast breakthrough ever. Easy to make? Check. Includes cheese? Check. Able to be eaten with one hand while you sit at the computer attempting to get work done? Checkity check check. Also, there are tomatoes and fresh basil AND some scrumdiddlyumptious (real word. Willy Wonka says so) scrambled eggs.
The scrambled eggs are really what makes this “breakfast,” I think. That, and the fact that I started compulsively eating it at 9:30 in the morning. But you could just as easily serve it as a tasty appetizer at your next brunch soirée, or nix the eggs (if eggs are too breakfast-y for you) and call it dinner. VERSATILE! I like it.
I loved the addition of pesto to the eggs here – I used a kale & basil pesto I had left over from dinner the other night and it was perrrrrfect. But it would be great with basil or arugula pesto as well. Basically, I’m in love, so if anyone needs me I’ll be standing over the stove shoveling the rest of these breakfast bruschetta into my face. CAN’T STOP WON’T STOP.
- 1 baguette or crusty french bread loaf, thickly sliced (sourdough would also be good!)
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup goat cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon fresh pesto (I used some leftover basil & kale pesto - yum!)
- 2 tsp. milk
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place sliced bread in a single layer on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 375 for 8-12 minutes, until bread is lightly toasted.
- While bread is toasting, make the eggs. Combine eggs, pesto, milk, and a dash of salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Scramble egg mixture in a small skillet over medium heat and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, toss tomatoes with basil and a dash of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- When bread is toasted, you're ready to assemble! Spread each piece of toast with a layer of goat cheese, then follow with a layer of scrambled eggs and top with tomato mixture. Garnish with extra chopped fresh basil and a pinch of fresh ground pepper and serve immediately.