These easy, refreshing watermelon cocktails get an earthy note from fresh rosemary and a hint of brightness from tart lemon juice. Made with vodka and homemade watermelon juice and ready in under 20 minutes – the perfect summer cocktail! Vegan, Vegetarian.
Ok. Who else is MELTING this week? ????????
It’s HOT here. Hot and sticky and humid and drought-y and HOT a couple more times. And don’t get me wrong – I ❤️ SUMMER – but even my sunshine-loving self is a little bit like “FOR SERIOUS, MOTHER NATURE? LET’S CRANK THIS PUPPY DOWN A FEW DOZEN DEGREES.”
Fortunatelyyyyyy, summertime means summer produce, and summer produce means summer cocktails (OH HI THERE, TASTY WATERMELON DRINK), and summer cocktails mean YUM which means I also just MIGHT be able to forgive this crazy heat wave we’ve been having the last few months.
These easy rosemary watermelon cocktails are insaaaaaanely refreshing, which is exactly what I’ve been needing lately.
If you’re looking for the heavier, deeper flavors of something like my Blackberry Whiskey Lemonade, you won’t find that here – but you WILL find a drink that’s basically an air conditioner in a cup.
We start with homemade watermelon juice (AKA my new favorite thing ever out of all the things ever). OBSERVE ⬆️⬇️⬆️⬇️.
This watermelon juice is actually the easiest thing EVER to make.
Step 1: Put watermelon in food processor.
Step 2: Blend watermelon in food processor.
Step 3: Strain blended watermelon.
Step 4: WATERMELON JUICE OMG.
Next, we get a lil’ fancy and put the watermelon juice in a shaker with some vodka (HEY-OH), a little lemon juice, and some fresh rosemary.
The rosemary here adds juuuuuust a little somethin’-somethin’ to this cocktail – a nice earthy note to counteract the light, bright watermelon and lemon flavors.
If you wanted to sweeten these up a bit, you could do a quick simple syrup and add it to the mix (you could even go syrup crazy and add things like berries or extra herbs!) You could also sub whiskey or bourbon for the vodka or add some fresh berries, peaches, and white wine to do this more sangria-style. This quick, 4-ingredient drink is really just a starting point – like always, make any adjustments you like to find your perfect cocktail combination! You could also nix the alcohol entirely and serve this lemonade-style for a refreshing drink even the kids can enjoy.
What are some of your favorite drinks for hot summer days?? (Or, y’know, favorite ways to just NOT MELT when it’s this hot outside?) Drop me a comment and let me know! And then make these rosemary watermelon cocktails.
- 1 cup diced watermelon (rinds removed)
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs (plus extra for garnish)
- ½ cup vodka
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 cup watermelon juice (see above)
- 4 small lemon wedges (optional, for garnish)
- 4 small watermelon slices (optional, for garnish)
- Place chopped watermelon in a food processor. Blend until watermelon is smooth.
- Place a wire strainer over a large mixing bowl and strain watermelon juice into the bowl. You may need to strain the juice more than once to remove all of the solid pieces - you want a smooth watermelon juice!
- Set juice aside.
- Add rosemary to a large cocktail shaker and muddle with a spoon to start releasing some of the flavor.
- Add vodka, lemon juice, and watermelon juice to cocktail shaker. Add a handful of ice and shake to chill.
- Put a handful of ice in each of four drinking glasses and divide watermelon cocktail evenly between glasses. Garnish with a sprig of rosemary, a lemon wedge, and a watermelon slice (optional) and serve immediately.
Use whiskey in place of vodka for a fun twist on this watermelon cocktail!
No rosemary? Try fresh basil or mint leaves.