This easy mushroom pasta with garlic sauce is sure to be a hit. Creamy garlic parmesan sauce and sautéed mushrooms make this a filling and delicious weeknight recipe.
This sauce is sooooo yummy.
Longtime Life As A Strawberry readers (hiiiiii, I heart you!) might actually recognize this as one of the OG LAAS recipes from back in the day.
This easy mushroom pasta with garlic sauce was first posted just five months into the life of this website, back when I had no idea what I was doing (still don’t, let’s be real) and no inkling that this delightful little corner of the internet would someday be a major piece of my full-time self-employed life.
I’m bringing this sauce back today because 1) it is BONKERS EASY and 2) it is BONKERS DELICIOUS and 3) the old pictures were BONKERS TERRIBLE so I gave them a lil’ facelift.
I serve this creamy mushroom garlic sauce over a pile of spaghetti, but it’s also tasty with chicken, pizza, or any other place you might use a simple white sauce.
It’s also FAST, which means YAY, because we all have better things to do than stand over the stove all day, right?
Creamy Mushroom and Garlic Sauce
A quick and easy mushroom garlic sauce.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz. baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large green onions, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1.5 cups milk
- 2/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- Cook pasta in very salty water according to recipe or package directions. Make the sauce while the pasta cooks.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms to oil and sauté until mushrooms have reduced in size, about 4 minutes. If the mushrooms soak up all the olive oil, add another teaspoon.
- Add garlic, green onions, salt and pepper to mushrooms and stir to combine. Cook until garlic is fragrant and mushrooms have released some additional liquid, about one minute.
- Add flour to saucepan and stir to incorporate all ingredients. Let cook for 30 seconds or so.
- Add 1/2 cup of the milk and stir to break up any lumps of the mushroom and flour mixture. The milk will thicken fairly quickly; that’s okay. Add the remainder of the milk and stir to incorporate all ingredients.
- Bring sauce to a simmer and cook until milk has thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in parmesan cheese. If you can, shred your own cheese – pre-shredded cheese has additives in it that make it more difficult for the cheese to melt smoothly. Stir in the chopped parsley.
- Garnish with extra parsley and serve immediately.
Use shallots or white onions in place of the green onions for a stronger taste.
Add chicken, shrimp, salmon, or sausage to this pasta for additional protein.
Add any veggies you have on hand to make this a little heartier! I like peas, broccoli, asparagus, bell peppers, spinach, and arugula as mix-ins.
I serve this sauce over pasta, but it’s also good as pizza sauce or atop grilled chicken.
- Calories: 416