These easy salt and pepper wonton crackers are a great alternative to packaged junk foods, and they’re ready in just 10 minutes! A great addition to your favorite wonton wrapper recipes. Vegetarian.
🎶 Let’s talk about snacks, bay-BEE! Let’s talk about snacks aaaand ME! 🎶
Lately, I’ve been feeling like I don’t eat enough snacks.
Is this a weird problem to have? Because I feel like this is maybe a weird problem to have.
The problem (okay…”prooooooblem”) is that we really don’t buy junky, processed food very often.
PS: Are you already hating me for this? Because I feel like maybe I’m already hating me.
YOU CAN TELL ME. I CAN TAKE IT (*sobs into her tea*)
Back to my problem.
Which is that we never have snacks. Because we don’t buy many delicious junky things like chips (except for the occasional Kettle Chips and the even-more-occasional *GASP* PRINGLES) and dip and cookies and CAAAAANDY. Because we like to pretend that we’re “healthy” or whatever. (BOO).
(PS, for anyone about to leave me a long comment about how “if you want a snack, you can just eat some vegetables” … Thank you. I AM AWARE. But we’re not talking about a carrots-and-hummus type situation here. We’re talking about those times when you want SALTY, DELICIOUS, BAD-FOR-YOU THINGS).
Which brings me to these Salted Wonton Crackers! (OMG, JESSIE. Freaking FINALLY).
On those days
that end in “y” where I’m craving something snacky and salty and also hating myself a little bit for passing up the Kettle Chip aisle at the grocery store last weekend, I reach for Wonton Crackers.
Because while my kitchen is severely lacking in ready-to-eat snackage, I almost always have a container of wonton wrappers on hand (and if I don’t, ummm – they’re super easy to make).
You might remember the Parmesan Wonton Crackers I posted a few years ago (whoaaaaa, throwback!) That recipe is still a favorite, but THIS version has been making the rounds a lot lately.
Mostly because it’s FAST.
Like… almost-as-fast-as-opening-a-bag-of-CHIPS fast.
The prep here takes just a few minutes, and these babies crisp up in the oven in no time. I also looooove the teensiest bit of fresh ground black pepper on these wonton crackers – it gives them juuuust a liiiiittle bit of heat and spice.
Serve these wonton crackers with Red Pepper Baked Ricotta or Smoked Salmon Spread if you’ve got a crowd, or snack on them all by their lonesomes if you’re like me and just filling a junk food void before dinnertime. 👍🏼
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 25 square wonton wrappers (about ½ of a standard store-bought package)
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut square wonton wrappers in half to form rectangles.
- Lay wonton pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet. The wrappers won't move or expand during cooking, so you can place them quite close together.
- Brush each wonton piece with a light layer of olive oil.
- Sprinkle oiled wonton wrappers with kosher salt and add a few light turns of fresh ground black pepper.
- Bake crackers at 375 F for 4-8 minutes or until wontons have browned and crisped up. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 4 days. (I love serving them with this roasted red pepper baked ricotta!)
Omit the fresh ground pepper if you'd like plain ol' salted crackers.
Depending on the size of your baking sheet, you may need to bake in two batches (or use two baking sheets at once).
For another variation on these crackers, check out my Parmesan Wonton Crackers!