It’s Day #2 of MAC AND CHEESE WEEK (aka the best idea I’ve ever had in the history of ever). Today, it’s white cheddar avocado mac and cheese for the win!
And remember how I mentioned yesterday that I just broke my record for single-day blog views? Yeah, well, today, I broke THAT record. Mac and Cheese week = best week ever. (Not that I ever doubted it would be, of course).
This is another winner in my arsenal of mac and cheese recipes. It’s one of Kyle’s favorites because he and avocado are basically BFF, and even though I don’t love avocado the same way he does (unless it’s in the form of guacamole. which is obviously incredible) I DO love the light avocado flavor folded into this mac and cheese and the sharp tang of the white cheddar. Everybody wins!
Mmmmm. So give this a try! And may YOUR mac and cheese week bring as much joy as mine has.
- 1 lb. pasta (I used pipe rigate)
- 1/2 fresh avocado (I sliced up the other half and used it to garnish the mac and cheese)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups milk (I used skim)
- 2 and 1/3 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Cook pasta according to recipe or package directions until al dente (I always cook pasta in very salty water – it brings out the flavor of the pasta).
- In a food processor or small blender, combine avocado, garlic, salt and pepper, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, cilantro, and olive oil. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Whisk flour into the butter to form a roux and cook for 1 minute. Tip: My mom always taught me that you know a roux has cooked fully when it smells like toasted almonds – totally works!
- Whisk milk into roux a little at a time until you’ve worked out all the lumps. Bring sauce to a simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until mixture has thickened, about 6-8 minutes.
- Whisk avocado mixture into sauce. Simmer for another 2-3 minutes, until sauce has thickened again.
- Remove sauce from heat. Stir in white cheddar cheese and pepper. Mix until cheese has melted. Add pasta to sauce and toss until pasta is evenly coated.
- Top with extra avocado and white cheddar. Serve immediately.
MACARONI AND CHEESE WEEK LINEUP!!
Monday – Jessie’s Famous Spicy Mac and Cheese
Tuesday – White Cheddar Avocado Mac and Cheese
Wednesday – Beer Mac and Cheese
Thursday – White Cheddar Arugula Pesto Mac and Cheese