A simple asparagus side dish recipe loaded with crispy bacon and creamy blue cheese.
- 2 strips thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1 pound asparagus (about 12–14 large spears, usually the amount that comes in a bunch at the grocery store), ends trimmed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon pieces until crispy. Set cooked bacon aside and return the skillet to the stove. NOTE: You should have just enough fat left in the skillet to coat the bottom of the pan (you’ll use it to cook the asparagus!). If needed, drain some of the bacon drippings out of the pan so you just have a nice thin coating left.
- Reheat skillet over medium-high heat, then add asparagus and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, flipping asparagus occasionally, for 5-7 minutes until asparagus is bright green. Spears should be softened and cooked through but should still have a bit of a bite to them.
- Remove skillet from heat and top asparagus with cooked bacon and crumbed blue cheese. Serve immediately.
Cooking time may vary slightly depending on the size of your asparagus spears – just keep an eye on it while it cooks!
To make this a vegetarian dish, omit the bacon and sauté the asparagus in 1 Tbsp. of olive oil, then top with cheese as directed.
A dash of lemon juice or Worcestershire sauce would also be great additions to this asparagus!