- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 8 slices sourdough bread (or any hearty, crusty bread)
- 4 thick slices brie
- 4 thick slices white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 lb. bacon, cooked until very crispy
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1 recipe Apple Tomato Soup
- In a small dish, combine the olive oil and crushed garlic and give it a stir. Let it sit while you prep the rest of the ingredients – the longer, the better!
- Heat a large, flat pan over medium-high heat.
- Brush one side of each piece of bread with the garlic olive oil.
- Place each piece of bread oil-side down on the hot pan and toast until lightly browned, then remove from heat.
- Brush the non-toasted side of each piece of bread with garlic olive oil.
- Place half of the pieces of bread oil-side down (the un-toasted side this time!) and immediately top each piece of bread with a slice of white cheddar cheese, followed by a few slices of bacon (I use 2 or 3) and a few slices of apple (I use 3 or 4 apple slices per sandwich) Grilled cheese is an art – add however much of each ingredient you’d like!
- Top each sandwich with a slice of brie, and then place the remaining pieces of bread toasted-side down (oil side up) over the brie.
- Toast sandwiches for approximately 2 minutes on each side, flipping once the bread is toasted.
- Serve immediately with a bowl of Apple Tomato Soup.
Brie melts pretty fast, so add it last to give the white cheddar more time to melt! Keeping the heat up pretty high so that the bread toasts more quickly can help you get the sandwich toasted before the brie melts all over the place.