Put a healthy twist on traditional fettuccine alfredo with our magic cauliflower cream!
- 8 ounces fettuccine pasta
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup Magic Cauliflower Cream
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Cook fettuccine in very salty water until al dente.
- Reserve 1/3 cup pasta water. Drain pasta, set aside, and return empty pot to the stove.
- Heat olive oil in the pot over medium heat.
- Add garlic to oil and sauté, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add cauliflower cream to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until cauliflower cream reaches a low simmer.
- Add parmesan cheese and stir until cheese has melted, about 1 minute.
- Add cooked fettuccine to the sauce and toss to combine.
- Add reserved pasta water to fettuccine a few tablespoons at a time, tossing or stirring the pasta well between each addition, to lightly thin the sauce and help it coat the fettuccine. (You won’t need all the pasta water! I usually use a little less than 1/4 cup).
- Add salt and pepper to taste and toss to combine.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley (optional) and serve immediately.
What is Magic Cauliflower Cream? Cauliflower Cream is our favorite lightened-up substitution for a traditional béchamel sauce (a milk or cream sauce thickened with a flour-and-butter roux). Find the full recipe here! (In a nutshell, cook 1 pound of chopped cauliflower with 1 and 1/2 cups of vegetable stock until cauliflower is ultra-soft, then blend well to make a smooth “cream”).
For best results, shred your own parmesan cheese here. Pre-shredded cheese is often coated with preservatives that prevent it from melting smoothly. Use a good box grater or the shredding disc on a food processor to quickly and easily shred your own cheese at home.
Additions and Substitutions. Use stock, milk, or cream in place of the reserved pasta water if you like. Swap half the fettuccine noodles for spiralized zucchini noodles to lighten this recipe up even more. Add a splash of heavy cream for extra richness. Add your favorite veggies (we love broccoli, kale, spinach, tomatoes, bell peppers, or peas!) or protein (shrimp! chicken! salmon!) to make this recipe even heartier.
Strict vegetarians should look for parmesan cheese made without rennet.
Keywords: healthy, lightened-up