Easy chorizo baked eggs with tomato sauce, avocado, cilantro, and cotija cheese.
- 1 pound chorizo sausage
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 4 eggs
- Grilled or toasted bread for serving (optional)
- 1 ounce Cacique® Cotija cheese
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
COOK THE SAUSAGE (5 MIN)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat until hot. Add chorizo and cook, using a wooden spoon to break it up into chunks, for 5-7 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove chorizo to a bowl. Drain all but one tablespoon of the chorizo fat away – we’re going to use that to cook the onions! Return the skillet and one tablespoon of fat to the stove over medium heat.
MAKE THE SAUCE (10 MIN)
- Add onions and garlic to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and tomato sauce to skillet and stir to combine.
- Return cooked chorizo to the skillet. Cook until tomato sauce simmers, about 4 minutes (if your tomato sauce looks thin, let it cook an extra few minutes to thicken). Remove skillet from heat.
ADD AND COOK THE EGGS (15 MIN)
- Use a spoon to make four small indents in the skillet’s sauce. Crack an egg into each indent.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake at 375 degrees F for 7-15 minutes until egg whites have set. If you like well-done eggs, add an extra few minutes to the cook time. (To gauge egg doneness, give the eggs a poke with the back of a spoon and see how much they jiggle! Keep in mind that eggs will continue cooking in the hot skillet once you take them out of the oven).
- When eggs are cooked to your desired doneness, remove the skillet from the oven. Top with Cotija cheese, green onions, cilantro, and sliced avocado. Serve immediately with grilled or toasted bread or warm tortillas.
Equipment. We love our 12-inch cast iron skillet for this recipe!
To cook the eggs more quickly, you can cover the skillet with a tight-fitting lid before placing it in the oven. You can also avoid the oven entirely and cook this recipe on the stovetop by covering the skillet and reducing the burner heat to low until eggs are cooked to your desired doneness.
Keywords: breakfast, easy, shakshuka