This easy chicken chopped salad is perfect for summer!
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 large avocado, pitted and removed from peel (save the other half for your salad!)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime (about 3 Tablespoons)
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup water (you may not need it all)
For the salad:
- 2 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved (or 2 large tomatoes, diced)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups fresh sweet corn (about 3–4 ears, depending on size)
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
Make the dressing:
- Combine Greek yogurt, avocado, cilantro, lime juice, and salt in a food processor. Blend until smooth. If dressing is too thick, add water a Tablespoon at a time until it reaches your desired consistency. Set aside or store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Assemble the salad:
- Combine chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, and corn in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing (recipe above) and toss to combine.
- Top salad with fresh avocado slices. Serve immediately.
What kind of chicken should I use? We typically use our meal prepped shredded chicken in this salad, since it’s what we usually have on hand. You can also use leftover grilled or roasted chicken or grab a rotisserie chicken from the store to keep things easy here!
Additions and Substitutions. Use tuna, shrimp, hard boiled egg, or salmon in place of chicken here. Add extra veggies (cucumber, bell pepper, green onion, carrots) grains (farro, quinoa) or beans (chickpeas, black beans) to make this salad a bit heartier. Swap some or all of the romaine for spinach, cabbage, or kale. Use lemon juice or apple cider vinegar instead of lime juice in the dressing if you prefer.
If you don’t like cilantro, use spinach and/or parsley in its place for the dressing, and leave it out of the salad.
Make the salad dressing ahead of time if you like: Blend as directed and store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
This recipe was inspired by this Chickpea Chopped Salad from Ambitious Kitchen.
Keywords: salad, summer, healthy