- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 large apples, roughly chopped (I used Sansa apples from a local orchard, but this is also great with Granny Smith apples!)
- 5 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup milk (optional – leave it out or substitute coconut milk for vegan soup!)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add apples, tomatoes, bay leaves, salt, and pepper to the pot and stir to combine.
- Cook, uncovered, until tomatoes have begun to break down and apples are soft and cooked through, about 30-45 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and remove the bay leaves.
- Blend soup with an immersion blender until creamy, being sure to blend away any chunks so you have a smooth consistency.
- Add milk to soup and give it another zap with the immersion blender to blend everything together.
- Taste soup and add seasoning if necessary.
- Serve immediately and garnish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can also transfer soup to a blender in batches and blend until smooth. I HIGHLY recommend getting an immersion blender if you don’t have one – it is hands down one of my top 5 favorite and most-used kitchen tools. You can find great ones at decent prices on Amazon!
If the soup, once blended, is too thin, return it to the heat and let simmer an additional 15-20 minutes or until it reaches your desired consistency.
Also, this soup is the bomb dot com with a facefull of grilled cheese.