Easy, creamy mushroom pasta with a tasty parmesan sauce.
- 1/2 lb. pasta (I used bowties!)
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 12 oz baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1.5 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta in very salty water until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Return the pasta pot to the stove. Add olive oil and turn heat to medium.
- Add garlic and onion to oil and sauté until onion has softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add sliced mushrooms to oil and cook until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine.
- You should notice a bit of liquid in the skillet with the mushrooms – this is what you want! If your pan looks dry, add another tablespoon or so of olive oil so you have enough liquid to form a roux in the next step.
- Add flour to mushroom mixture and stir to help the flour soak up any liquid and form a roux. Cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add milk to mushrooms, stirring constantly to break up any chunks of flour. Cook 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in shredded parmesan cheese.
- Add cooked pasta to sauce and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Shred the parmesan cheese yourself for best results! Pre-shredded cheese often has preservatives applied that prevent the cheese from melting smoothly.
If you’re a strict vegetarian, use vegetarian parmesan cheese (look for parmesan cheese made without rennet).
This is a great base recipe – customize it with whatever you have in the fridge! I like to add leftover chicken or turkey, steamed broccoli, peas, or chopped spinach to mix the recipe up a bit. Play around to find your favorite combinations and make it your own!
If you’re feeling fancy, you can always garnish your pasta with an extra sprinkle of parmesan cheese or some fresh chopped parsley.
For a healthy twist, swap our favorite Magic Cauliflower Cream for the flour and milk in this recipe!
- Calories: 580