This easy spinach apple salad is ready in no time and perfect for fall! With a simple maple dijon salad dressing.
For the dressing:
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 4 heaping cups spinach
- 1 large apple, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Make the dressing: Add all dressing ingredients to a small mason jar with a tight-fitting lid. Attach the lid and shake for 30-60 seconds to incorporate everything into a smooth dressing.
- Assemble the salad: Add spinach, apple slices, goat cheese, and toasted walnuts to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with salad dressing and toss to combine.
To toast walnuts, place the nuts in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Cook them for just a few minutes, stirring constantly, until they're fragrant and have just barely darkened in color.
For a nice garnish, reserve some of the apple slices and top the salad with them after it’s all tossed together.
Substitutions and Additions. Use crumbled gorgonzola or blue cheese instead of goat cheese. Swap the apples for sliced pears or peaches. Add dried cranberries, sliced red onion/shallot, or pomegranate seeds for extra color and texture. Use fresh arugula or kale in place of some or all of the spinach. For the dressing, use lemon juice or balsamic vinegar in place of apple cider vinegar and swap the maple syrup for honey or agave syrup if you prefer.
Make Ahead Tips: Make the salad dressing up to a week in advance and store in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to use it (you may need to shake it up again if it’s been sitting for a few days). Toast the walnuts a day or two in advance, let them cool completely, and store in an airtight container on the counter.
Keywords: side dish, thanksgiving, salad, fall