- 1 recipe of your favorite pizza dough (I added a pinch of thyme, dried basil, and oregano to my regular recipe this time to add a bit of herb-y flavor)
- 1 pound italian sausage, cooked
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese (I used half shredded and half sliced fresh mozzarella, but use whatever you’ve got on hand!)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 batch of your favorite pizza sauce, for dipping
- Divide your pizza dough into four portions (if you’re making mini calzones!) and press each piece into a flat rectangle-ish shape about 1/8? thick.
- In the center of each dough rectangle, layer ingredients in this order: handful of mozzarella, handful of italian sausage, sprinkling of basil, another handful of mozzarella, then a handful of crumbled goat cheese. Use as much or as little of each ingredient as you prefer!
- Pull the sides of each calzone up over the filling and pinch together to seal the calzone. Pinch each end together as well and tuck ends under the calzones. Transfer formed calzones to baking sheet.
- Drizzle each calzone with 1 Tbsp. of olive oil and bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until calzones have slightly browned.
- Serve with a side of pizza sauce for dipping and enjoy!