These herb and cheese stuffed snap peas are perfect for summer entertaining.
- 20-30 pea pods (snap peas or snow peas work well)
- 1/4 cup assorted finely chopped herbs (see recipe notes)
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Use a sharp paring knife to split each pea pod down the middle and form a small pocket.
- In a small bowl, combine herbs, ricotta, cream cheese, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Fill a plastic bag or piping bag fitted with a round or star tip (I like this bag from Wilton) with the cheese mixture.
- Pipe a bit of the cheese mixture into each pea.
- Eat immediately or store in the fridge for a few hours before you dig in!
How to Split a Snap Pea:
It can be tough the first few times to get the knife right in the center of the pea so be patient and be prepared to give it a few tries.
Insert the knife gently into the seam of each pea and then slowly slice down the center - but be careful not to slice all the way through the pea pod. This can take a bit of practice, but you'll get the hang of it!
Try to keep the knife straight and steady, and slide it through the rest of the pea (it sometimes helps to lay the pea flat on a cutting board and slide the knife through that way!) kind of like you’re opening an envelope.
Use any herbs you have on hand here - I like a mix of parsley, chives, basil, and dill.
Buy a few extra pea pods the first time you make these so you have a few backups if you accidentally slice all the way through the peas!
If it's particularly hot in your kitchen, you may want to pop the cheese mixture in the fridge for a few minutes before filling the peas so it better holds its shape.
You can make this appetizer a day ahead of you like. If you can, I recommend splitting the peas and mix the filling ahead of time, and then piping the cheese into the pea pods when you're ready to serve.
Switch out the cheeses if you like - goat cheese and mascarpone are also great in this recipe!
Keywords: appetizer, entertaining, vegetarian, dip