A creamy vegetarian soup for chilly evenings.
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, roughly chopped (make sure you rinse them well to remove any grit!)
- 4 large yukon gold potatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, plus extra for garnish
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup milk
- (optional) 2 Tbsp. heavy cream, for garnish
- In a large saucepan or pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- When oil is hot, add leeks, potatoes, garlic, salt and pepper. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes or until leeks have softened.
- Add vegetable stock to pot and stir to combine.
- Strip leaves from thyme sprigs and add to pot. Stir to combine.
- Bring soup to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are cooked through and easily pierced with a fork.
- Add milk to soup and stir to combine.
- Remove soup from heat and puree with an immersion blender until smooth. Taste and add seasoning if necessary.
- Dish soup into serving bowls and garnish with extra thyme leaves and a drizzle of heavy cream (optional). Serve immediately.
If you don’t have an immersion blender, puree the soup in a blender in batches until smooth. You could also serve this soup without blending for a more rustic feel.
If your soup is too thick after blending, thin it out with a splash of milk or vegetable stock. Too thin? Bring it back to a simmer and cook until it’s reached your desired consistency.
This soup is easy to make in advance and it freezes well. When reheating, you may just want to zap the soup again with an immersion blender to bring it back to a nice, smooth texture.
To make this soup vegan, replace the milk with additional vegetable stock, coconut milk, or almond milk, and omit the heavy cream.
I updated this recipe in February 2017 to streamline and simplify it a bit. I also added new pictures, so it might look a bit different than you remember if you’ve made it before. Don’t worry, though – it’s easier than ever and still just as tasty!
Serve this soup with a loaf of Easy Crusty French Bread!
- Calories: 454