This easy lemon arugula salad is ready in just five minutes!
For the dressing (makes ¼ cup):
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice or balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Salad:
- 4 heaping cups fresh arugula
- 2 ounces shaved parmesan cheese (or crumbled feta, blue, or goat)
Make the dressing:
- Combine the mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a small jar with a tight-fitting lid. Attach the lid and shake the jar until the dressing is smooth and emulsified.
Note: if you don’t have a jar, whisk the dressing together in a small bowl.
Assemble the salad:
- Add arugula and parmesan cheese to a large bowl.
- Drizzle vinaigrette over the greens and toss until coated.
- Serve immediately.
Substitutions. Use balsamic vinegar, lime juice, or apple cider vinegar in place of the lemon juice in the dressing. Use goat cheese, feta, or blue cheese instead of parmesan. Swap fresh spinach or kale for some or all of the arugula here.
Mix-ins and Additions. This salad is a great blank canvas recipe! Add fruit (berries, sliced peaches, apples, or pears, tomatoes, avocado), extra veggies (roasted squash, corn, bell pepper) or protein (salmon, shrimp, chicken, bacon, beans, hard boiled egg). Add some nuts (walnuts, sliced almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds) for extra texture.
Strict vegetarians should look for parmesan cheese made without rennet.
Keywords: summer, side dish, vegetarian