Easy parmesan spinach sauce with pillowy gnocchi.
- 16 oz. potato gnocchi
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1.25 cups milk
- 3 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese (if you’re a strict vegetarian, look for parmesan cheese made without rennet)
- Cook the gnocchi according to package directions. Drain, set aside, and return the empty pot to the stove.
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Add garlic to butter and sauté for about a minute until garlic is fragrant.
- Add flour to butter and whisk to form a roux. Cook for 30 seconds or so to cook out any raw flour taste.
- Slowly add milk to roux, whisking constantly to break up any lumps. Cook for 2-3 minutes until sauce has just begun to thicken.
- Stir chopped spinach into sauce and cook 3-5 minutes more until spinach has wilted and sauce has thickened.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove pot from heat.
- Add parmesan cheese to sauce and stir to combine.
- Return cooked gnocchi to sauce and stir to combine. Serve immediately.
Depending on the size of your gnocchi (and your personal preferences!) you may have a little more or less sauce than you need. To thin out a too-thick sauce or to stretch your sauce a little further, stir in a bit of extra milk until you’ve reached your desired consistency.
Add grilled chicken, salmon, or shrimp to this recipe for extra protein.
For a healthy twist, swap our favorite Magic Cauliflower Cream for the flour and milk in this recipe!
- Calories: 396