Easy, creamy parmesan pasta sauce with fettuccine, shrimp, peas, and pesto.
- 1/2 lb. fettuccine noodles
- 2 Tbsp. basil pesto
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined (I use Wild American Shrimp)
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1.5 cups milk
- 2 oz. goat cheese
- 1 cup peas (frozen is fine)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Cook fettuccine in very salty water until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta cooks, cook the shrimp. Heat pesto in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3-5 minutes until shrimp is pink and cooked through. Keep an eye on the pesto so it doesn't burn!
- Remove cooked shrimp from heat and set aside.
- Return empty pasta pot to stove. Add butter to pot and melt over medium-high heat.
- Add flour to butter and whisk together to form a roux. Cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add milk to roux, whisking constantly to work out any lumps. Cook, whisking occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until milk has thickened significantly.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in goat cheese, peas, salt, and pepper. Stir until cheese has melted completely.
- Add cooked pasta and cooked shrimp to the sauce and toss with a pair of tongs to combine everything. Garnish with fresh chopped basil (optional) and serve immediately.
You can use parmesan cheese in place of (or in addition to!) the goat cheese for a more traditional Alfredo-type sauce.
- Calories: 561
Keywords: seafood, pasta, date night