- 10 medium red potatoes
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Boil whole red potatoes in very salty water until easily pierced with a fork, about 25 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Drizzle olive oil on a large baking sheet (you could also use cooking spray).
- Place potatoes a few inches apart on the oiled baking sheet.
- With a potato masher (you could also use the bottom of a mug or glass), gently press down on each potato to flatten it out.
- Spread 1/2 teaspoon of pesto on each smashed potato. Follow with a sprinkle of goat cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Bake smashed potatoes at 450 for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes have crisped up and browned on top.
- While potatoes are baking, simmer balsamic vinegar in a small skillet over medium to form a reduction, about 10 minutes. (This is optional, but delicious).
- When potatoes have browned, remove from oven and drizzle them with balsamic reduction. Serve immediately.
These smashed potatoes are a blank canvas – add whatever cheeses, sauces, or spices you have on hand to make them your own!