- 5 large red potatoes
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1 cup smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- salt and plenty of fresh ground pepper, to taste
- extra butter (optional) for garnish
- Roughly chop potatoes and place them in a medium-sized pot. Cover potatoes with cold water and bring to a boil. Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Drain potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Add butter, milk, and half-and-half to potatoes and let the butter melt for a minute. Then mash with a potato masher until they are relatively lump-free (I actually like a few lumps in my potatoes, but make them as smooth as you like!)
- Add shredded smoked gouda cheese, salt and fresh ground pepper. Stir until cheese has melted.
- Transfer hot smoked gouda mashed potatoes to a large baking dish and top with a pat of butter and a few more turns of fresh ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
For an extra-decadent mashed potato dish, spread finished mashed potatoes out in a baking dish and top with a thin layer (about 2 Tbsp) of half-and-half, then bake at 375 F for 20-25 minutes until the half-and-half has formed a light brown crust.
If the potatoes are too thick, add another splash of milk or half and half to bring them to your desired consistency.
You can use all milk or all half-and-half for the liquid in this recipe if you like.