An easy pasta recipe with broccoli, spicy sausage, and a simple cream sauce.
- 1/2 lb. spicy Italian sausage
- 1/2 lb. orecchiette pasta
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add sausage to skillet. Break sausage up with a wooden spoon and cook for 7-10 minutes or until cooked through. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the orecchiette in very salty water. When the pasta is 2-3 minutes away from being al dente, add the broccoli florets to the water to cook.
- When pasta is al dente, drain broccoli and pasta and set aside.
- Return pasta pot to stove, add cream, and heat cream over medium heat until simmering.
- Remove cream from heat and add pasta, broccoli, cooked sausage, red pepper flakes, and parmesan cheese and stir until cheese has melted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Use quality parmesan cheese here – pre-shredded cheese is often treated with preservatives that prevent it from melting smoothly into a sauce. I like to buy a nice block of parmesan and shred it myself with a microplane or cheese grater.
Add any veggies you like to this pasta or swap the sausage out for chicken to switch it up!
Use 1/4 cup stock, milk, or pasta water in place of 1/4 cup of the cream to lighten this recipe up a little.