This was really good. Like…REALLY GOOD. So good that I ate half of the chicken before it even made it to my quesadilla, only to MAKE a quesadilla and realize that I definitely should have left enough chicken to make more. Whoops.
The chicken here gets a big flavor punch from lime juice and tequila, and it’s really easy to make a bunch at once and keep it in the fridge for quesadillas on a whim. The chicken would also be great in a taco salad, although it’s perfectly acceptable to eat it all by its lonesome.
One thing you should know about me: I seriously love cooking with booze. It adds amazing flavor to pretty much anything, and more importantly, it’s FUN. Tequila is usually a go-to ingredient in my kitchen, although I also love cooking with beer, wine, bourbon, whiskey, vodka, you name it. It makes me feel like such an ADULT. (Which, let’s be real, I am the least adult-y adult ever. So that’s a big deal.)
Anyway. Make this for lunch. Or dinner. Or snacktime. Whatever. It’ll be worth it. I totally promise.
- 2 small chicken breasts (a little under one pound)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream and Simple Salsa for dipping
- Heat 2 Tbsp. of tequila and 2 Tbsp. of lime juice in a skillet. Add chicken breasts, salt and pepper.
- Cook chicken breasts about 10 minutes on each side. Periodically add remaining tequila and lime juice to deglaze the pan and keep the chicken moist. Chicken is done when juices run clear and there is no longer any pink in the middle. Set aside to cool.
- When chicken has cooled, use two forks to shred the chicken into small pieces.
- Place a tortilla on a large skillet and set your burner to medium heat.
- Spread 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella on the tortilla. Top with 1 Tbsp. of chopped cilantro, a handful of shredded chicken, a few Tbsp. of diced tomatoes and a few slices of avocado. Sprinkle 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese over quesadilla and top with another tortilla.
- Cook the quesadilla over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted and tortillas are nice and crispy.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients to make four full quesadillas. Top with sour cream and Simple Salsa. Serve immediately.