An easy fresh steamed mussels recipe with white wine and a lemon chipotle sauce.
- 1 lb. fresh mussels
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp. chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 of a large lemon, cut into wedges
- 1.5 cups dry white wine (I used chardonnay)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Fresh bread for dipping (like this Easy Crusty French Bread!)
- Clean and scrub mussels. Toss out any that are open. Set cleaned mussels aside.
- In a large skillet (make sure it has a tight-fitting lid), heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic to oil and sauté until onion is translucent, about three minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chipotle chili powder to onion mixture and stir to combine.
- Squeeze juice from lemon wedges into pan, and then toss the wedges right into the pan with the onions.
- Add white wine to pan to deglaze and give it a stir.
- Add mussels to pan and cover with the lid. Cook 5-7 minutes until all mussels have opened.
- Throw out any mussels that are unopened.
- Pour cooked mussels and remaining cooking liquid (that’s the good stuff, mmmm) into a large bowl. Top with chopped cilantro and serve immediately with lots of bread for soaking up the liquid.