These quick and easy mussels have a smoky, delicious white wine sauce with chipotle, fresh lemon, and a sprinkle of cilantro. Ready in under 30 minutes.
Theeeeeeeeeeese mussels. I love them. Love love love love love.
There's just something about mussels that can't be beat.
Or, maybe more accurately, there's something about the broth you end up with after you make mussels that can't be beat.
This particular broth is garlicky, spicy, and delightfully lemon-y with a pop of flavor from fresh cilantro.
Also, like pretty much every other recipe I've ever shared with you ever, I'm totally obsessed with it.
I was also feeling like a speedy, healthy, easy recipe was in order after this decadent salmon carbonara from the other day. And this fits the bill x100000 - it comes together SO QUICKLY, has just a handful of ingredients, and rings in at under 300 calories per serving.
Quick recipes are also my jam lately because I've been on something of a Buffy (y'know, the Vampire Slayer) Netflix binge ("binge" might be a bit generous...it's more like I fell into a vortex) this week (HOW have I never seen this show before?!) so I can basically only stand to be away from my computer for a few nanoseconds because I'm only on season two and WHAT IS UP WITH ANGEL and sometimes you just can't deal with life because you really, really need to know what happens on a TV show you somehow missed in the 90s. But mussels, right? We were talking about
Let's talk about
Buffy my other favorite thing about this recipe. And that thing is this: all you need is one pan. And my other favorite thing that I also just remembered(!!): the burner only has to be on for 10-15 minutes. Which means easy cleanup AND you don't have to heat up your house unnecessarily as the weather gets warmer (we're already up to high 80s here, yikes). I have a feeling this is going to turn into a summertime staple in my house.
Lemon Chipotle Mussels
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 3-4 1x
- Category: Seafood
- Cuisine: American
An easy fresh steamed mussels recipe with white wine and a lemon chipotle sauce.
- 1 lb. fresh mussels
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp. chipotle chili powder
- ½ of a large lemon, cut into wedges
- 1.5 cups dry white wine (I used chardonnay)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Fresh bread for dipping (like this Easy Crusty French Bread!)
- Clean and scrub mussels. Toss out any that are open. Set cleaned mussels aside.
- In a large skillet (make sure it has a tight-fitting lid), heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic to oil and sauté until onion is translucent, about three minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chipotle chili powder to onion mixture and stir to combine.
- Squeeze juice from lemon wedges into pan, and then toss the wedges right into the pan with the onions.
- Add white wine to pan to deglaze and give it a stir.
- Add mussels to pan and cover with the lid. Cook 5-7 minutes until all mussels have opened.
- Throw out any mussels that are unopened.
- Pour cooked mussels and remaining cooking liquid (that's the good stuff, mmmm) into a large bowl. Top with chopped cilantro and serve immediately with lots of bread for soaking up the liquid.
- Serving Size: 3 servings
- Calories: 332
- Sugar: 2.1 g
- Sodium: 836.6 mg
- Fat: 12.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.1 g
- Protein: 19.1 g
- Cholesterol: 42.3 mg
Keywords: seafood, dinner, date night
Jessie @ Life As A Strawberry
I love these mussels so much! Made them again over the holidays and that broth is just *chef's kiss*.