Easy slow cooker BBQ chicken sandwiches - perfect for busy weeknights!
For the Chicken:
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (3-4 large pieces)
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. hot sauce (I like sriracha or anything with a kick)
- 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
To Assemble the Sandwiches:
- 4-6 brioche rolls, halved
- Your favorite toppings! Try lettuce, tomatoes, grilled corn salsa, cheese, avocado, horseradish, or anything else you like.
For the Chicken:
- Place all ingredients in a small slow cooker and toss to coat the chicken on all sides. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- When you’re ready to eat, turn off the slow cooker. Remove the lid and let the chicken cool for 10 minutes or so until it's cool enough to handle.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken. Taste and add seasoning if necessary. Serve immediately or let cool completely and store in an airtight container in the fridge for later in the week.
- Toast your sandwich rolls (you can do this on the grill, in the oven, or with a toaster) until lightly crispy. Top each bottom half with a big scoop of chicken, your favorite toppings, and the top half of the bun. Serve immediately and enjoy.
If you're using a particularly large slow cooker, you may want to double this recipe or decrease the cooking time to keep your chicken moist. I use this 4 qt. slow cooker and it works great.
Make this slow cooker BBQ chicken ahead of time and keep it in the fridge for easy meal prep! Use it in these burgers or on a cilantro chopped salad, BBQ chicken pizza, chicken nachos, or pasta throughout the week.
Use lettuce wraps in place of brioche rolls for a lighter version of this recipe.
Keywords: slow cooker, sandwich, chicken breast