These quick and easy slow cooker BBQ chicken sandwiches are perfect for busy summer weeknights!
These sandwiches are SO. RIDICULOUSLY. EASY. But also SO. RIDICULOUSLY. GOOD.
It's kind of amazing how something that takes all of five minutes to put together can be so incredible.
But, hey, this sandwich has everything you could ever want in a meal. Super simple slow cooker recipe? Check. Barbecue sauce? Check. Bread? DOUBLE CHECK.
Just put a margarita in my other hand and I'm all set.
This slow cooker BBQ chicken is one of our go-to summer meals, since Illinois tends to be FREAKISHLY HOT ALL OF THE TIME once June hits.
A lot of people give their slow cookers lots 'o love in the wintertime, but I actually tend to use mine much more often when it's hot outside. (I'm currently using this slow cooker from Crock-Pot!)
When it's cold, I like to stand over the stove and make soup or spaghetti sauce and soak up all the warmth in my kitchen.
When it's hot, I want to do nothing that involves movement or heat of any kind.
That's why my slow cooker is so great - it puts out hardly any heat, which means you can eat flavorful, yummy things (like, umm, this slow cooker BBQ chicken) without turning your apartment into a sauna.
Which ALSO means I you spend thirty seconds in the kitchen and then go back to sitting directly in front of the fan with that margarita we talked about earlier. #winning
VIDEO: SLOW COOKER CHICKEN 4 WAYS!
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Inactive Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 16 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: Makes 4-6 sandwiches 1x
- Category: Sandwich
- Cuisine: American
Easy slow cooker BBQ chicken sandwiches - perfect for busy weeknights!
For the Chicken:
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (3-4 large pieces)
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. hot sauce (I like sriracha or anything with a kick)
- 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
To Assemble the Sandwiches:
- 4-6 brioche rolls, halved
- Your favorite toppings! Try lettuce, tomatoes, grilled corn salsa, cheese, avocado, horseradish, or anything else you like.
For the Chicken:
- Place all ingredients in a small slow cooker and toss to coat the chicken on all sides. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- When you’re ready to eat, turn off the slow cooker. Remove the lid and let the chicken cool for 10 minutes or so until it's cool enough to handle.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken. Taste and add seasoning if necessary. Serve immediately or let cool completely and store in an airtight container in the fridge for later in the week.
- Toast your sandwich rolls (you can do this on the grill, in the oven, or with a toaster) until lightly crispy. Top each bottom half with a big scoop of chicken, your favorite toppings, and the top half of the bun. Serve immediately and enjoy.
If you're using a particularly large slow cooker, you may want to double this recipe or decrease the cooking time to keep your chicken moist. I use this 4 qt. slow cooker and it works great.
Make this slow cooker BBQ chicken ahead of time and keep it in the fridge for easy meal prep! Use it in these burgers or on a cilantro chopped salad, BBQ chicken pizza, chicken nachos, or pasta throughout the week.
Use lettuce wraps in place of brioche rolls for a lighter version of this recipe.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 650
- Sugar: 14.4 g
- Sodium: 748.7 mg
- Fat: 28.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.3 g
- Protein: 63.5 g
- Cholesterol: 200.1 mg
Keywords: slow cooker, sandwich, chicken breast
Super easy and very tasty.
Team Life As A Strawberry
YAY! We're happy to hear you enjoyed these sandwiches!
How big were the chicken breasts?
I generally use medium sized chicken breasts, which are 6-8oz. in my experience. If there is too much meat after cooking, you can always correct it by adding a bit more bbq sauce. You could also substitute a few chicken thighs for one breast.
All it's missing is some Onion Crunch! Yum!