This easy broccoli white cheddar soup is warm, filling, and ready in under an hour! The perfect soup recipe for chilly evenings. Vegetarian.
THIS SOUP. Let’s talk about it.
This is another updated recipe from wayyyyyy on back in the blog archives – but since it’s still one of my most favorite soup recipes, I decided it needed a well-deserved upgrade to some new photos and a prime place on the front page of the site.
I present to youuuuu (ermm…again) the easiest, most delicious white cheddar broccoli soup of all time.
This broccoli white cheddar soup (say that ten times fast!) is comfort food at its finest, which is exactly what I need when it is cold and yucky outside.
It’s been snowing NON. STOP. here for the past few days, and while I’ve acclimated a teensy bit to living in cold, snowy places after a childhood spent on the West Coast (#BestCoast), I really only have a few hours of snowy tolerance in me before I’m…umm… OVER IT.
Thankfully, snow outside = soup for dinner. At least in my house.
This soup is ready in under an hour, which to me is the perfect balance of time for warming up over a simmering pot of happiness on the stove but still having a quick and easy dinner situation.
It’s also free of any butter or heavy cream (only veggie stock and skim milk here, folks!) so you can feel good about
eating it as part of a healthy diet serving it with ten extra pieces of this Easy Crusty French Bread.
PS – If you want to be my soup hero, you’ll serve this broccoli white cheddar soup in these sweet wheat bread bowls. Because OMG.Print
Broccoli White Cheddar Soup
Simple broccoli white cheddar soup – perfect for chilly evenings.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- 3 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 of a large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp. All-purpose flour
- 2 and 1/2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken or turkey stock)
- 3/4 cup milk (I used skim)
- 1.5 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 4 Sweet Wheat Bread Bowls (optional – these are amazing if you want to serve this soup in a bread bowl!)
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, salt and pepper, and saute until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add flour to saucepan and stir until flour has soaked up all the moisture. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add stock a little at a time, mixing the soup thoroughly to incorporate all ingredients and work out any flour-onion-garlic lumps that may have formed.
- Add the milk and stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a simmer and add broccoli. Simmer over medium heat until soup has thickened slightly, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and break up broccoli and onion chunks using an immersion blender. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can transfer the soup to a regular blender in small batches or use a potato masher. (I prefer the potato masher if my immersion blender isn’t handy – less mess!)
- Return soup to heat and simmer another 5 minutes or until soup has reached a “soup-y” consistency.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in shredded white cheddar cheese. Stir until all cheese is melted. Ladle into bowls (or bread bowls!), garnish with extra shredded cheddar cheese, and serve immediately.
If your cheese separates when you stir it into the soup, blend it with an immersion blender to bring it back to the right consistency.
For a chunkier soup, feel free to skip or shorten the immersion blender phase or to stir in some additional chopped broccoli after you’ve blended the soup.
PS – I recently updated the photos for this recipe to make it look a lil’ nicer, so don’t be worried if it looks a bit different! The recipe is exactly the same, and still a favorite in our house.
- Calories: 460