These blood orange margaritas have homemade simple syrup, tequila, fresh blood orange juice, and a ton of flavor!
Ahhhhhh, tequila. How I love thee.
I love the addition of blood orange juice in this drink – it lends a nice, sweet layer of flavor to a classic margarita, and (if you’re not big on a strong tequila taste in your drinks) can really mellow out the tequila so it all goes down smoooooooth. I’m into it.
I also can’t get over how PRETTY blood oranges are – the colors here are so vibrant and fun that it almost makes me forget about the pile of snow still falling outside.
This blood orange margarita will brighten up your winter days and celebrate the amazing citrus that’s currently in season, while also having tequila in it. (Winning).
Need some more Margarita inspiration? Try my recipes for Strawberry Thyme Margaritas, Raspberry Margaritas, or (if you want to get SUPER festive) this Margarita Chicken Quesadilla! I say we go all out.
Easy blood orange margaritas – full of flavor and perfect for entertaining.
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed blood orange juice (approx. 2 large blood oranges)
- 1/4 cup triple sec
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1 cup ice, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar or salt (for the cup rims; I prefer sugar)
- 1 small lime, sliced, for garnish (optional)
- 1 small blood orange, sliced, for garnish (optional)
- Place sugar or salt on a shallow plate or dish. Run a lime wedge around the edge of two glasses, then dip each glass rim into the sugar or salt to coat.
- Divide half of the ice cubes evenly between the glasses and place the other half of the ice in a cocktail shaker.
- Combine blood orange juice, triple sec, lime juice, and tequila to the cocktail shaker. Cover and give it a good shake to chill the margaritas and let the flavors all meld.
- Divide margaritas evenly between each glass. Garnish with one slice each of lime and blood orange and serve immediately.
This recipe makes two margaritas, but you can easily scale it up or down to serve as many as you’d like! When I’m making margaritas for a crowd, I like to mix the margaritas (without ice) in a large bowl or pitcher and keep it in the fridge, then ladle a bit of it into a cocktail shaker with ice whenever it’s time to refresh a few drinks!
If you’re out of triple sec, make a simple syrup by combining 1 cup water with 1 cup sugar in a saucepan and heating until sugar has dissolved. I like to throw a few orange peels in with the simple syrup as it cooks to give it a little extra flavor.