Switch out the usual quesadilla fillings for these easy margarita chicken quesadillas! Perfect for busy weeknights.
Quesadillas are a favorite go-to food on busy weeknights in our house. Just a bit of butter, a couple of tortillas, a pile of cheese, and BAM! Dinner is served.
When we need to mix up our dinner game but still don't quite have time to cook a big ol' meal, these easy margarita chicken quesadillas are the perfect solution.
Also, there is tequila.
Which is extra perfect, because I seriously love cooking with booze. Almost as much as I love drinking it (ba dum bum chhhhh!)
The chicken here gets a big flavor punch from lime juice and tequila, and it's easy to make ahead - just whip up a batch of the the tequila lime chicken and keep it in the fridge for quesadillas/tacos/pizza/salads/straight-from-the-container-snacking.
Top these margarita chicken quesadillas with your favorite toppings - we like salsa, lime, cilantro, and a bit of Greek yogurt or sour cream.
You could also mix up the fillings by adding caramelized onions, bell peppers, jalapeños, or your other favorite veggies.
Quick and easy weeknight chicken quesadillas with lime and tequila.
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 2 medium-sized boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- ¼ cup tequila
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE QUESADILLAS:
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into four pieces
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- Sour Cream or Plain Greek Yogurt
- Salsa Verde or Simple Salsa
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- Place the sliced chicken in a small bowl. Add tequila, lime juice, cilantro, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Set chicken aside to marinate while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Depending on the exact size of your chicken breasts, you may have a bit of extra marinade. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken to the hot pan and add leftover marinade as needed to deglaze the pan if it is dry.
- Cook chicken, stirring occasionally, 4-7 minutes until cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
FOR THE QUESADILLAS:
- Heat a second large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add one piece of the butter and heat until melted.
- Lay one tortilla on the lightly buttered skillet.
- Spread a layer of shredded mozzarella across the tortilla. Top with a handful of cooked chicken and a layer of shredded white cheddar cheese. Top with a second tortilla.
- Cook quesadilla for 2-4 minutes, until tortilla is lightly browned and cheese has begun to melt. Flip with a large spatula and cook 2-4 minutes on the second side until lightly browned and cheese is completely melted.
- Remove cooked quesadilla to a cutting board and repeat steps 1-4 to cook the remaining quesadillas.
- Cut quesadillas into quarters and top with your favorite toppings. Serve immediately.
You don't have to cut the chicken before cooking if you don't want to - I like to slice it before cooking so it soaks up the marinade and cooks more quickly, but you can certainly marinate the full chicken breast and slice or shred it AFTER it's cooked if you prefer.
Add a pinch of red pepper flakes or diced jalapeño to the chicken marinade to add some extra spice.
Add bell peppers, onions, or any other veggies you have on hand to the quesadilla filling to make it a bit heartier.
Use shrimp instead of chicken if you like.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 767
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 1627.2 mg
- Fat: 33.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 53.6 g
- Protein: 53.7 g
- Cholesterol: 124.5 mg
Keywords: chicken, main dish, cheese