Shake up your cocktail game with this easy, refreshing whiskey cocktail!
Let’s have a drink!
This drink. It’s got whiskey in it. And is delicious.
If you aren’t really a whiskey person, you should try it anyway.
I have never been a big whiskey drinker (even though I love love love cooking with it) because it’s always so STRONG. But this drink dilutes the harsh whiskey flavor with a bit of sweetness, and has helped me become much more of a whiskey girl than I used to be (wahoo!)
When Kyle and I were in Portland over Christmas, we went to a great bourbon bar downtown (he’s a bourbon and whiskey guy so that place was his JAM) and tried some of their signature drinks. They had one with whiskey, some other stuff I don’t remember, and APRICOT JAM. Seriously. Apricot Jam. And you know what? It was friggin’ delicious. So when we got home, I spent a day trying to create a similar whiskey drink that would tickle my tastebuds and convert me to whiskey-drinking-dom. And after a few attempts, we have a winner!
- 2 oz triple sec (I like Cointreau when I can find it on sale)
- 2 oz whiskey (I used Bushmills Irish Whiskey)
- 1 and ½ oz lemon juice
- ⅔ oz lime juice
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar (super fine sugar is best, but regular baking sugar will do)
- ½ tsp. apricot preserves
- 3 oz. tonic water
- In a shaker, combine all ingredients except tonic water with ice and shake well. Fill two glasses with ice and strain half of the drink mixture into each glass.
- Top each glass off with 1 and ½ ounces of tonic water. Serve immediately.