WHOA! It’s been awhile. Between finals (I forgot how much finals totally suck. Why did I go to grad school again?) and a bunch of SSBP projects (cool things are happening – GET EXCITED and join our email list to stay updated!) and, um, CHRISTMAS, things have just been crazy. I’m sure you understand. I think we all deserve a drink (or five) for making it through finals/holidays/Beyoncé breaking the world (with an album that is all kinds of amazing…like we expected anything less).
And to go with that drink, you should probably make one of these sandwiches. In between all the cookies and cake and candy canes and fruit cakes (if you’re into that kinda thing), it’s nice to have a nice, fresh, light recipe to fall back on. And you could always pair it with a Jolly Pop or some Whiskey Lemonade to make it, y’know…FESTIVE.
I guess I could tell you a little bit about these sandwiches. They’re all kinds of delicious.
Also, there is no mayonnaise or sour cream in sight. Just greek yogurt, red grapes, cucumber, chicken, and YUM-ness.
This recipe is awesome with chicken, but it would also be great with leftover turkey from a big holiday dinner. The grapes and cucumber are sweet and crunchy, giving it a nice light feel perfect for tempering any cookie binges or mashed potato comas.
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- ⅓ cup seedless red grapes, quartered
- ⅓ cup cucumber, peeled and diced
- ⅓ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- In a large bowl, mix chicken, grapes, cucumber, greek yogurt, lemon juice, salt, and pepper until combined.
- Toast pumpernickel bread in a toaster, or spread the pieces out on a sheet pan and broil on high for 1-2 minutes.
- Spread a generous helping of chicken salad on pumpernickel bread and put another pumpernickel slice on top to round out the sandwich. Enjoy!