It’s Tequila Week: Day 2! Are you excited? I’m excited.
On today’s agenda: these shrimp tacos. They’re kind of the bomb. I recommend marinating the shrimp in the tequila mix for awhile before you cook them, but if you’re in a rush you can skip the marinating part and just dunk them in the mix then cook them right away. They won’t be as tangy but they’ll still taste pretty stellar.
Also, is anyone else having serious issues adjusting to life after a 4-day weekend? Because I’d like to tell you I spent yesterday afternoon hard at work on blog things and design things and all-around productivity. But really, I went to the grocery store, watched a bunch of Netflix, and got sucked into the internet for a few hours. While accomplishing nothing. Actually, no – I baked some bread. But that’s all. And it was interspersed with Netflix and YouTube and IMDB. Whoops. Hopefully today I’ll be a bit better at being a real grown up. But probably not. Let’s be real.
But the good news is that we’ve decided on a moving date! Well…a moving week, really. Which means I can officially enter the “holy-crap-we-have-so-much-crap-to-pack-in-so-many-boxes” phase that has endeared me to friends and family for years and years. Just kidding. They hate it. Moving stresses me out. You’ll probably be hearing a lot more about my moving woes over the next month. I apologize in advance. Good thing it’s Tequila Week, right?
Missed a day of Tequila week? Not to worry – catch up here:
Tuesday – Tequila Lime Shrimp Tacos
Wednesday – Raspberry Margaritas
Friday – Strawberry Thyme Margaritas
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup tequila
- 3 Tbsp. lime juice (about 1 large lime’s worth)
- ½ lb. shrimp (51-60 ct.), deveined and peeled, with tails removed
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 small (4? ish) corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced thin
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- In a large bowl, toss olive oil, tequila, lime juice, shrimp, cilantro, salt and pepper together. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour (you can leave it as long as overnight if you want to do this the day before!).
- When you’re ready to cook the shrimp, pull them out of the fridge. Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until it’s nice and hot. Pour shrimp and marinade into the pan and give it all a stir. Cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until shrimp are nice and pink and have cooked through. (You could also skewer the shrimp and grill them if you’d like!)
- While the shrimp cook, toast your corn tortillas. I toast mine over an open oven burner flame for a few seconds on each side, but you could also toast them in a hot cast iron skillet or zap them in the microwave. Keep tortillas warm with a tea towel if your shrimp aren’t quite done.
- When shrimp have cooked, place 3 or 4 shrimp in the center of each corn tortilla and top with a few slices of avocado and some cilantro for garnish. Serve tacos with a lime wedge.