I started making this sour cream and chive sauce when I started making pierogi - super delicious little pasta dumplings filled with mashed potatoes.
In the meantime, file this sauce recipe away for not just pierogis, but for poultry dishes as well - it's a nice, gravy-like accompaniment for turkey or chicken, although it's also good as a creamy pasta sauce (like our easy white sauce!)
This easy sour cream sauce is perfect for serving with homemade Pierogi!
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons. Chives, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tsp. flour
- 1 cup turkey, chicken, or vegetable stock
- 2 Tablespoons Sour Cream
- ½ Tsp. Lemon Juice
- Heat the oil and lemon juice together in a medium-sized saucepan. Add garlic and chives.
- Saute garlic and chives until garlic is cooked through, about 1 minute. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add flour to saucepan to make a roux. Stir contents of pot together and let roux cook for 1 minute.
- Stir stock into the saucepan a few tablespoons at a time, stirring constantly to break up and fully incorporate the roux for a smooth sauce. Bring mixture to a simmer and let it thicken.
- When sauce has thickened, stir in sour cream. Garnish with fresh chopped chives and serve over pierogis, chicken, poultry, or pasta.
Adapted from My Gourmet Connection
- Serving Size: 3 Tablespoons
- Calories: 43
- Sugar: 0.3 g
- Sodium: 366 mg
- Fat: 3.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.9 g
- Protein: 0.4 g
- Cholesterol: 1.1 mg
Keywords: sauce, thanksgiving, side dish