This easy, creamy whipped feta cheese dip is perfect with crackers and fresh veggies, spread over crostini, or swirled into your favorite pasta dish!
We are allllllll about the whipped cheese lifestyle here, and this ultra-creamy feta dip will level up your appetizer game like you won't beliieeeeeeve.
This dip has a bright, tangy, salty flavor that pairs with just about everything (crostini? check. veggies? check. pasta? check.) and it's meal prep friendly so you can make it ahead of time.
Additions and Substitutions
This creamy whipped feta recipe is a wonderfully blank canvas: add your favorite mix-ins to customize it with whatever you have on hand!
- Use a different cheese. Goat cheese and ricotta are also delicious here. You can add a handful of hard cheeses (like parmesan, white cheddar, or asiago) if you like, but it won't blend as smoothly. For best results, use a soft, creamy cheese!
- Add a mix-in. Blend a splash of lemon juice, a handful of fresh herbs (we love basil, thyme, parsley, dill, or cilantro here), a drizzle of honey, or a cup of roasted beets into this dip for extra flavor! This dip is also good with a few cloves of roasted garlic.
- Dress it up with toppings. Spread this whipped feta out in a shallow bowl and top with roasted veggies, burst tomatoes, caramelized onions, or a drizzle of good olive oil and fresh cracked pepper.
How to use whipped feta
Wondering what to do with whipped feta? Good news: This dip pairs well with just about everything. Some of our favorite ways to use it:
- Spread it on crostini. Toast up some crusty bread, spread with a generous spoonful of creamy feta, and top with your favorite crostini ingredients! We love adding fresh herbs, spring peas, cherry tomatoes (use it with this bruschetta!), berries, peaches, and a drizzle of honey or balsamic for an easy, delicious crostini.
- Serve as a dip. Pop a small bowl of this whipped feta onto your next appetizer veggie tray or cheese plate. This is also great as the base for our roasted red pepper dip!
- Dress up roasted veggies. Spread a layer of whipped feta cheese under your favorite roasted veggies to elevate a simple side dish. We especially love using roasted tomatoes, cauliflower, beets, broccoli, carrots, and parsnips here. This dip is also great on a corn and zucchini galette or roasted tomato galette!
- Level up your breakfast. Serve a spoonful of this spread with fried or poached eggs, some toasted bread, and a drizzle of flavorful sauce (like tahini, hot sauce, harissa, or herb pesto).
- Other ideas: Use this dip as a base for pizza, spread it on your favorite grilled cheese, or swirl it into some mashed potatoes!
A few FAQs
Yes! Make the dip in advance and store in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last up to 5 days.
Yes! This dip freezes great. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for 2-3 months, then defrost overnight in the fridge when you're ready to use.
You can leave out the cream cheese if you need to, but it does make this feta dip ultra creamy! The dip won't be quite as smooth without it, but you can add an extra drizzle of olive oil or a few Tablespoons of heavy cream to help mimic some of that same texture (it's still good!) You can also use Greek yogurt instead of cream cheese, though the flavor will be much more tart.
The cheese is too thick to blend properly in a blender, so a food processor is really your best bet here. You need that wide bowl and spinning blade to get this dip nice and creamy!
This easy, creamy whipped feta cheese dip pairs with just about anything!
- 8 ounces feta cheese, drained of any brine
- 2 ounces cream cheese (about ¼ cup)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons good olive oil (we've been loving these olive oils from EXAU)
- Crumble feta cheese into the bowl of a food processor. Add cream cheese, salt, and pepper. Pulse to break up the feta and combine the cheeses.
- Scrape down the sides of the food processor, then add olive oil. Blend for 1-2 minutes until you have a smooth, creamy dip.
- Serve immediately with sliced veggies, crackers, or crostini, or put whipped cheese in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 5 days until you’re ready to use it.
What type of feta cheese should I use? You can use crumbled feta or a block of feta (drain any brine first) and crumble it yourself. If your feta is very dry, it may need a little extra olive oil to make a creamy consistency.
Additions and Substitutions. Blend a splash of lemon juice or honey into your dip for extra flavor. Blend in fresh herbs, caramelized onions, a few cloves of roasted garlic, or a few roasted beets for color and flavor. Swap 2-3 Tablespoons of heavy cream or a spoonful of Greek yogurt for the cream cheese if you prefer. Use goat or ricotta in place of the feta cheese.
How to serve this whipped feta cheese. Serve this dip on crostini, as a dip for fresh veggies or crackers, or as the base on a pizza or galette. Add a dollop to your favorite pastas and mashed potatoes. For more ideas, be sure to read the post above!
Storing and freezing whipped feta. Store whipped feta cheese in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge and give it a good stir before serving; if the texture isn't quite as smooth after defrosting, pop it back in the food processor and blend for a few seconds to smooth it back out.
- Serving Size: 2 Tablespoons
- Calories: 73
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 384.8 mg
- Fat: 6.4 g
- Trans Fat:
- Carbohydrates: 1 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 21.6 mg
Keywords: appetizer, entertaining, meal prep
The photos for this recipe were taken by Casey at The Mindful Hapa!