Shake up your morning routine with this breakfast bruschetta recipe! Layer creamy goat cheese, fluffy scrambled eggs, fresh tomatoes and basil on some crusty french bread for an easy breakfast recipe that's sure to be a hit. Vegetarian.
This easy breakfast bruschetta is a quick and flavorful riff on a classic "eggs on toast" breakfast recipe (although we're firm believers that scrambled eggs on toast are also delicious at lunch or dinner).
A traditional Italian bruschetta rubs toasted bread with a bit of garlic, then tops it off with fresh tomatoes, basil, salt, and plenty of good olive oil. This egg toast idea is a riff on that classic; we're adding fluffy scrambled eggs and a layer of tangy goat cheese for a heartier breakfast with plenty of fresh, summery flavor!
Our basic order of operations
This easy egg toast recipe is ready in under 20 minutes - perfect for a quick breakfast (or breakfast for dinner!)
- Toast some bread. Pop a few slices of crusty bread in the toaster to keep things easy, or arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and bake at 375° F for 8-12 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Scramble your eggs. Mix several eggs with a dollop of fresh pesto (we love basil pesto or this arugula pesto!), a splash of milk, and plenty of salt and pepper. Cook low and slow until you have a soft scramble.
- Assemble! Top each toast piece with a layer of goat cheese, a scoop of scrambled eggs, and plenty of fresh tomatoes and basil.
Riffs and Substitutions
- Add extra veggies. Avocado, roasted red pepper, sautéed mushrooms, and caramelized onion are all delicious additions here. You can also add a pile of greens (we like fresh spinach and arugula!) or a drizzle of balsamic glaze for extra color and flavor.
- Mix up the cheeses. We use goat cheese in this recipe, but you can use any cheese you like! We like swapping in our whipped goat cheese, whipped feta cheese, or cream cheese.
- Add protein. Add some crispy bacon, prosciutto, or breakfast sausage to these caprese toasts to make them a bit heartier.
- Simplify if you're short on time. We love the extra pop of flavor you get from swirling a bit of pesto into the scrambled eggs here, but if you're in a hurry, you can skip the pesto or swap the scrambled eggs for a quick fried egg to save time.
Video: How to make Breakfast Bruschetta
Note: This video was made for an older version of this recipe; we have since updated the exact ingredient amounts. Be sure to follow the written recipe for the exact ingredient measurements! We are in the process of updating this video as well.
More Quick Breakfast Recipes
This easy breakfast bruschetta recipe uses fluffy scrambled eggs, fresh tomatoes, and plenty of basil!
- 4 large slices crusty bread (we like sourdough or our crusty artisan bread!)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 ounces goat cheese (about ⅓ cup)
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon fresh pesto (we like basil pesto or arugula pesto here!)
- 2 teaspoons milk (optional)
- 1 heaping cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ⅓ heaping cup fresh basil leaves, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place sliced bread in a single layer on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 375° Fahrenheit for 8-12 minutes, until bread is lightly toasted. (Note: If you're short on time, you can skip this step and toast your bread in a regular toaster).
- While bread is toasting, make the eggs. Combine eggs, pesto, milk, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour egg mixture into a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3-5 minutes or until eggs are soft and cooked through.
- When bread is toasted, you're ready to assemble! Spread each piece of toast with a layer of goat cheese, then follow with a layer of scrambled eggs. Top with a handful of fresh tomatoes, a pinch of fresh cracked pepper, and a generous pinch of fresh basil. Serve immediately.
Additions and Substitutions. Use whipped goat cheese, whipped feta cheese, or cream cheese in place of the goat cheese. Add crispy bacon, prosciutto, or breakfast sausage for extra protein. Add avocado, roasted red pepper, sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions, or fresh greens like spinach and arugula to make this a bit heartier. Finish with a drizzle of balsamic glaze, a few drops of hot sauce, or a sprinkle of flakey sea salt if you like.
If you’re short on time, swap the scrambled eggs for quick fried eggs and toast the bread slices in the toaster instead of the oven.
Toast extra bread if you’d like to serve this recipe sandwich-style (rather than open-faced as pictured).
This recipe is very forgiving - feel free to dial the ingredients up or down to suit your personal tastes! You can also scale this recipe up for a crowd.
The milk in this recipe is optional; feel free to leave it out if you prefer!
- Serving Size: 2 toasts
- Calories: 588
- Sugar: 4.7 g
- Sodium: 786.7 mg
- Fat: 35 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.1 g
- Protein: 29.1 g
- Cholesterol: 391.7 mg
Keywords: brunch, summer, vegetarian